  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 01:10:03 +0000

Re: Problems with Linux_kbd & 2.2.0-pre9 (fwd)

Andrew Apted wrote:
> >  Btw, there are some other issues here, which are not only related
> >  to LibGGI:
> >
> >  The console(4) manpage suggests that /dev/tty<n> should be owned
> >  by root.tty and have permissions 0622. If that is followed you
> >  can allocate a new VT just fine (because all the vtswitching stuff
> >  can still be done if you open with O_WRONLY), but the opening the
> >  keyboard will fail as we obviously need read permission for that.
>
> My ttys seem to be owned by me.  Doesn't `login' chown them ?

Yes, if you run a getty on a console it will be $USER.tty 0620 when
$USER is logged in to it and root.root 0622 when noone is logged in.
But when you open a new console you don't have any getty/login running
on it.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se