  From: Rodolphe Ortalo <ortalo@laas.fr>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:55:03 +0100

Re: Mailing lists

>Could we please split this mailing list now.
[...]
>Proposed forks:
[...]

I agree with you traffic is too high currently.
However, I don't think splitting the mailing list would give us
a solution to this problem. It seems a last ressource option (to me).

How about _really_ refraining from posting to the list (everyone
listening) unless one knows that he really like what he wrote
and that everybody will like to read it ?

Good rules are simple:
 - no too much bling quoting (especially in fast exchanges);
 - no too much fast answers;
 - always hesitate between answering to the person directly or
to the mailing list (each option may be better depending on the
subject);
 - C coding is always a good excuse for not mail writing (but
the reverse if absolutely false) [ie: DTJC];
 - constructive attitude as much as possible.

Forgetting that lead to an immediate sanction: no one reads.

Self-discipline is difficult, but it's so useful sometimes.
I'd really like to keep one useful mailing list with good
contributions. Most of the time, it is pleasant to read this
mailing list.

Rodolphe