  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:54:46 +1100

Re: C&T driver

Andy writes:

>  > > kernel: error: kgifb_set_var: Unsupported bpp '1'.
>
>  > Damn it. Fix that! If someone doesn't I will. Go in fbcon-kgi.c and change
>  > kgicon_bpp = 1 to kgicon_bpp = 8. It will work then. I hgave a idea to fix
>  > this once and for all.
>
>  Please, if you fix it, fix it right. Don't just change to kgicon_bpp=8;.
>
>  Enhance it to try several modes, and if it fails all of them, then give up.

Kgicon does try several modes (about 30 IIRC).  The problem seems to be,
many of the drivers don't like e.g. 1 bit modes.  It is the drivers that
need fixing, to refuse to do modes that they cannot do.  Like with VGA,
it used to accept 640x480x8 -- did someone fix that ?

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/