  From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Niklas_H=F6glund?= <niklas@canit.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:22:52 +0200

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New ViRGE driver

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 09:42:01PM +0200, Martin Lexa wrote:
> Niklas Höglund wrote:
> > It hangs directly on insmod.
> This problem is a history. It's fixed in the latest cvs snapshot so
> update cvs or in ramdac code move set_streams_processor after writing
> to cr67 reg. It'll work, because I've the same card as you ;-)

I tested on a fresh update from CVS. I've updated again now, though,
and it seems to work well except for one thing. I've seen this
behaviour earlier on an old Tseng card in DOS. This bug only occurs on
modes "higher" (bandwidth-wise) than 640x480x8, and the effect is more
severe the higher the mode. It seems that drawing operations somehow
delay the card in "starting a new line". When the screen is not drawn
on nothing happens, but when it is drawn on some lines get shifted to
the right for one vertical refresh. The next vertical refresh other
lines get shifted, and when the drawing is finnished the display
stabilizes.

The effect is easily reproducible with
GGI_DEFMODE=1024x768x16 ./demo

I've looked some more at it and it doesn't start at the left edge of
the screen, but about an inch to the right of the left edge. Exactly
how it looks seem to depend on what is drawn.

--
						Niklas