  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  To  : chris@newpublishing.com
  Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:37:10 +0200

Re: newbie question

Hi !

> Firstly, I'd be posting this to ggi-user@kludge.org, but as far as I can

It looks like the kludge.org lists died silently. Anyone to investigate ?

> I'm running debian linux (kernel 2.2.1) with framebuffer support
> compiled into the kernel (and working, I can see the logo :).  My video
> card is a Diamond Viper 770.

What chipset does it have ? If it is PCI, /proc/PCI will tell.

> I've writen a very simple program to test the ggi mode negotiation code,
> using a visual created for "display-fbdev".  When I run the code
> however, I get and error something like:  "display-fbdev: can't locate
> kbd".

Do you mean : display-fbdev: Unable to open linux-kbd, trying stdin input. ?

> I assume this stands for keyboard daemon.

No. It's just an abbreviation for keyboard. The above happens, if you run
LibGGI apps from e.g. mc which has no real console connected to the shell,
but rather a pipe. The program should work anyway, though with some quirks
(like not recognizing the modifier keys properly and sending correct
press/release information).

To diagnose your problem further, the following data would be helpful:

1. exact error message.
2. corresponding program code and place where it happens.
3. eventually traces with GGI_DEBUG=255 and/or strace.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =