  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Accelleration: A summary

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Steffen Seeger wrote:

> > On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Jos Hulzink wrote:
> >
> > 	Yes, with the note that you do not have to fix the size of the
> > virtual userspace region at 2 pages.  The larger the size of the virtual
> > userspace region, the less checking for buffer-full conditions will need to
> > be done on the userspace side.  In fact, for 3D applications I would say that
> > two pages in far too small.  But the nice thing about this scheme is that you
> > do not actually need to allocate more than two physical pages, no matter how
> > long your virtual userspace buffer is!
>
> More buffer space may get a better efficiency (more overlap of
> drawing/calculations) for applications that render/calculate/render/calculate..
> That's why the generalized scheme implemented in kgi-0.9 can cope with
> arbitrary buffer sizes and buffer numbers. It would be nice if we could share
> that code between fbcon-kgi and KGI, just to make sure we fix bugs
> in both...

	Absolutely.  As soon as I can get some time to hack KGIcon some more,
one of the first items on my list of things to add/port is the PP buffer
stuff (well, after the essential management facilities, of course).  It will
be nice to see accels scream on KGI drivers.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed