  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:20:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Problem running ggi...

Hi !

> But when I decided to give it a try by compiling and running the demos
> found in libggidemos, I rapidly run into problems. The only thing I get
> out of it is a beautiful segfault...

Hmm - this is strange. You are the second one to mention a segfault
right after starting - maybe something broke in CVS ?

> So I add -g swith to the CFLAG of the Makefile demos and ran gdb against
> it to find that the problem is when opening the display in a ggiOpenVL
> (or kind of sorry it hangs my machine completely so I've lost the debug
> info!!!)

> So here's my config Mandrake 6.0 (modified RedHat 6.0) kernel 2.2.12 and
> glibc 2.1 a Matrox Millenium II card.

That should work as a charm. However you should definitely _not_ use the
SVGAlib driver. The Matrox cards are nicely supported by either the kernel
fbcon device, or the kgicon module.

> I saw in the documentation that there's a drop in replacement for
> SVGAlib is it needed in order to get better results than a segfault.

No. Though I suppose SVGAlib is the source of your problems. I do not have
any data on what works with it, and what not, but if you have a better
alternative, you should never use SVGAlib.

The library you are talking about is our SVGAlib wrapper. And it is kind
of a drop-in replacement, but not in the sense that you probably expect:

It will redirect SVGAlib programs to use LibGGI. If you install it without
having an alternate driver in place, that is useable from LibGGI, you won't
gain anything.

LibGGI itself does not drive hardware. It just uses a bunch of existing
systems to do that. SVGAlib is the "last resort" option for this.

Please configure the kernel fbcon device for your Millenium or use the
KGIcon driver.

For starters, you can also simply start up X and run the GGI programs
in a window.

CU, ANdy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>