  From: becka <becka@ggi-project.org>
  To  : Vladimir Zivkovic <lale@elfak.ni.ac.yu>
  Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:03:19 +0200

Re: PROBLEM, SO PLEASE ANSWER

> I am in big trouble so PLEASE help me!

No need to shout. We will of course try.

> I have trouble in installing driver. I have Linux 2.0.29, and I have
> patched it, and built it and boot it and it works, but makeing
> drivers and after that 'insert'-ing them doesn't.
> My machine is Pentium 75V, and graphical adapter is 86c765 i.e.
> S3 Trio 64V+ and if I BUILD IT LIKE 'make vga' AND INSERT IT WITH
> 'insertvga' IT IS OK, BUT IF I CHOOSE 'make config' AND AUTODETECTION,
> IT RECOGNIZES S3 TRIO, CHOSE 86c765 CHIPSET, S3 IDAC, PROG CLOCK,

O.K. - so far.

> BUT MY MONITOR IS UNRECOGNIZABLE SO IT CHOOSES VGA

That is not a problem. It only limits the frequencies and the useable modes.

> AFTER 'make' AND 'insert' MY COMPUTER HAS NO LONG 'tty' BUT ONLY
> BLACK SCREEN WITH LITTLE BIT OF SNOW.

This is a buggy Trio driver. The Trio was IIRC never working great.
All: How is Trio support in kgicon ? Any better ?

If not, you might be able to help us tremendously, by just trying to pick up
your primary goal again, and make that driver work.

> It is obvious that it works with VGA-setings and not with autodetected S3?
> How to make him to use S3 and not VGA?

It is probably a buggy driver.

> Since I have study your code, I have noticed something like
> #define BUGGY_... in S3-Trio chipset file (86c765.c), and
> later in s3_mmio.inc because of that BUGGY_...
> it assumes that DAC registers are in some 0x3ca and not at 0x3c7
> (for instance) port addresses.

Yeah. IIRC the Trio is buggy with respect to the mapping of DAC registers.

> So I have study myy S3 hardware data book for 86c765 but didnot find
> anything like it....

Hmm - that code is from Steffen IIRC, and you'll very probably have to ask
him. Problem is that IIRC he's out of town right now. But mail him
personally. I am sure, he will get back to you when he is home again.

> Maybe that is the problem? Or is code for 86c765 bad?

I suppose so. Virge wasn't working for a very long time as well ...

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =