  From: Martin Lexa <mlexa@atlas.cz>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:37:55 +0200

Re: S3 ViRGE FIFO

Hi Niklas!

Niklas Höglund wrote:

> > > I suspect it's the ordering of the register writes to the card that
> > > makes it hang, but I don't know.
> >   But how can it be possible that it works in X?
>
> Is the card in the same state when the registers are written? Are the
> exact same values written?
  Yes. If you set FIFO_TYPE to 0 and insert kgicon without any
parameters you will get ViRGE defaults for memory contr. regs.
Please could you try comment the "VSYNC lines" (above that
for (...) ).

> > > PS. The XF86_SVGA server never flickers any at all, not even in 32 bit
> > > modes.
> >   Yes. But look at your settings when starting 640x480x32. You'll get
> > mode at e.g. 100Hz vert. in kgicon, but in X you'll get probably 70Hz
> > or lower and of course you can choose fifo options.
>
> The chipset driver should not set a 100Hz vertical frequency if the
> chipset can't handle it. It should fall back to something it can
> handle. It's the slowest one that must set the speed.
  If I insert kgicon I'll got 640x480x8(15,16,24,32) vert. r. r. 100Hz.
So this is probably error (bug). Because there should be lower values
for higher bpp. I'll look at it as I'll have more time.
  I think the problem is in chipset driver.
  So we probably use hack to decrease some values in selected depth to
get lower vert. r. r. or is there any proper way? (Jos?)

> --
>                                                 Niklas

Bye, Martin
		[E-mail: mlexa@atlas.cz]