  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:32:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Svgalib Wrapper

Hi !

> Like the message says you are trying to use the svgalib target on
> the svgalib wrapper.
>
> The svgalib target lets you run LibGGI applications on top of svgalib.
> The svgalib wrapper lets you run svgalob applications on top of LibGGI.
> Combining them obviously won't work very well. If you want to use the
> SVGAlib target you have to use a real SVGAlib.

Please note, that many distributions come with old libc stuff regarding
SVGAlib. This might explain, why some old SVGAlib applications work
(indicating a working SVGAlib to you), while newly compiled stuff tries
to use the currently installed SVGAlib, which is apparently the LibGGI
SVGALib wrapper, what doesn't work.

Hmm - I'm just thinking:

Let's assume we detect an existing non-wrapper SVGAlib at make install time.
What if we would place a link like librealvga.so.* to the old lib.

Now we write an special Makefile for the SVGAlib target, that makes a
"display-realsvga", which is only different in linking.

This would allow to use LibSVGA even with the wrapper installed, by just
automatically trying the "dislay-realsvga" target.

If I see it right, this would mean a double make cycle, as you'd have to
install LibGGI to compile the wrapper, then the wrapper to compile the
svgareal target - oh well - we could just fake the svgareal lib at compile
time ... yes - interesting thought ...

Marcus ?

CU, Andy.

--