  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:27:54 +0200

Re: palemu + DirectBuffer = Segfault

> >       printf("GGI_DISPLAY=%s\n",getenv("GGI_DISPLAY"));
> >       if((vis=ggiOpen(getenv("GGI_DISPLAY")))==NULL) return 0;
> >       if(ggiSetGraphMode(vis,320,200,320,200,GT_8BIT)) return 0;
> >       printf("Grafikmodus ok.\n");
> >       if((db=ggiDBGetBuffer(vis,0))==NULL) return 0;
> >       printf("Direct Buffer ok.\n");
> >       GfxScreen=(S1*)db->write;

Oh - I just see that you do error check. Hmm something is wrong there.
It should break out, but it shouldn't fault.

> > GGI_DISPLAY=display-palemu
> > Grafikmodus ok.
> > Speicherzugriffsfehler   (german for Segfault)

> I can't reproduce this, and the palemu target hasn't changed since
> before 2.0beta2. What version do you have of relevant libs?

Maybe it has to do with the missing NULL ... though It should be unused in
his case ...

> Also note that the code ggiOpen(getenv("GGI_DISPLAY")) is broken, use
> ggiOpen(NULL) instead.

We should tell him what exactly is broken in case he wants to use it for
something else later: If you really wanted that (which isn't really a
good way to state it, as Marcus says, ggiOpen(NULL) is much better), you'd
have to write:

ggiOpen(getenv("GGI_DISPLAY"),NULL);

CU, ANdy

--