  From: Tristan Wibberley <bloater@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:10:25 +0100

Re: color unallocation

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 09:25:01PM +0000, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> Erik Thiele wrote:
> >
> > if my program uses 3 colors and only
> > needs 200 when the image-view action is activated,
> >
> > i'd like to allocate only 3 colors
> >
> > and take the 200 when i need them, but release them afterwards.
> > (i use the X target on 8bpp)
> >
> > but i cannot find a function to give back the no longer
> > needed colors
>
> LibGGI is a fullscreen graphics API and as such does not have the notion
> of "allocating" or freeing colors.
>
> If you want to reduce color flickering on windowing systems you can
> use GGI_PALETTE_DONTCARE as documented in the ggiSetPalette() man-page.

I think the best approach if someone wants to support X is to have some
explicit X code for running an X version of their software. They can
support window system function like this colour allocation by using the
separate X support and resetting the GGI colour map for the new
colours.

--
Tristan Wibberley