  From: Martin Lexa <mlexa@atlas.cz>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:42:05 +0200

Re: S3 ViRGE FIFO

Hi Niklas!

Niklas Höglund wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 10:22:19AM +0200, Martin Lexa wrote:
> > +     for (foo = 0; foo < 4; foo++)
> > +       SPR_out32(dpy, virge_memcntl[foo].offset, virge_memcntl[foo].data);
>
> I've checked the patch out, and everything works except for these two
> lines. (Not a big surprise I guess.) It they are there the monitor
> turns itself off when i insert the module. I also tried once only
> setting the first two registers, and once only setting the last
> two. Neither of these attempts made any difference.
  I don't know where is the problem. Anyone tried that patch?
I've got results only from Niklas ;-(( Niklas have you tried some
other monitor(s)?

> I suspect it's the ordering of the register writes to the card that
> makes it hang, but I don't know.
  But how can it be possible that it works in X?

> PS. The XF86_SVGA server never flickers any at all, not even in 32 bit
> modes.
  Yes. But look at your settings when starting 640x480x32. You'll get
mode at e.g. 100Hz vert. in kgicon, but in X you'll get probably 70Hz
or lower and of course you can choose fifo options.
  There is one solution. Use fbset, but it's horrible. I tried
converting modelines from XF86Config, no success, tried some
other "good" values, no success.
  It's very confusing to see that it's setting default values and
completly ignoring my.

> --
>                                                 Niklas

Bye, Martin