  From: James Simmons <jsimmons@edgeglobal.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:30:44 -0400 (EDT)

Re: kgicon C&T

> > BUT if someone can convince me that I need kgicon (I have fbcon compiled
> > in my kernel)
>
> there is a CT fbcon kernel ?

Yes their is support in the current kernel for CT chipsets but it only
works for power books :(

> > and that I can program a device driver in 5 hours
>
> To be honest: I don't hink that's possible. Surprise me ! :-)

If their where really good docs!!!!!!!

> Advantage: They are accelerated generically and usually support the card
> a little better than the fbcon counterpart, if it exists.

A little. Soem drivers in fbcon are well written like the ATI driver but
some driver like matroxfb doesn't handle higher resolutions very well.
Then some driver like the virge which by teh way only works for the zorro
bus is very porrly done. It supports very few modes.

> Hmm - exactly what driver do you use ? cube3d for example asks for
> doublebuffering, which could be pretty impossible with some fbcon drivers
> (like VESAfb).

Double buffering is not defined for fbdev :(