  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 01:44:57 +0200

Re: kgicon C&T

Hi !

> Maybe, if I didn't work from 7am to 9pm everyday...

*grin* Change jobs :-).

> BUT if someone can convince me that I need kgicon (I have fbcon compiled
> in my kernel)

there is a CT fbcon kernel ? Or are you using VESAFB ?

> and that I can program a device driver in 5 hours

To be honest: I don't hink that's possible. Surprise me ! :-)

> BTW, I have a probably stupid question: what do I need kgi for? I mean,
> the kernel thing. I have fbcon compiled, but not the kgi patch.

KGIcon is no patch. kgicon ist just a wrapper to KGI drivers that makes
loadable modules that look like fbcon drivers to the kernel.

Advantage: They are accelerated generically and usually support the card
a little better than the fbcon counterpart, if it exists.

If you use VESAfb, you are much better off with a native driver, as the
native driver can switch modes.

> some programs work (XGGI) using a fbdev display and some don't (cube3d).
> If somebody can explain it to me, please do it...

Hmm - exactly what driver do you use ? cube3d for example asks for
doublebuffering, which could be pretty impossible with some fbcon drivers
(like VESAfb).

> Also, the configure.in files of libGGI and libGII hardcode the "-g"
> compiler option, so I cannot compile them without it (even specifying
> CFLAGS when ./configure-ing).

Uh - wasn't there an option to turn of all debugging ? Doesn't
configure --disable-debug #don't build with run-time debugging (speed freaks)
do that ?

Other than that strip --strip-unneded does wonders on that.

> For kgi, I have the kernel sources in another place (not /usr/src/linux),
> but make doesn't recognize this. And 'make' doesn't complete successfuly
> (but after some modifications it patches the kernel). Is that normal?

What KGI are you talking about ? Steffen's 0.0.9 ?

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =