  From: Cesar Crusius <crusius@leland.stanford.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:54:27 -0700

Re: kgicon C&T

> > C&T support will be very good, since a lot of laptops use this chipset
> > (about 50%???)
>
> Yeah. But documentation is sparse, and we seemingly need a maintainer ...
> Do you happen to want to take the job ?

Maybe, if I didn't work from 7am to 9pm everyday... AND if I didn't have a
big C++ project already (check MATH library and the OffiX project in my
homepage - oh, OffiX is migrating to Berlin through one of our developers,
so one of my projects is GGI-related). BUT if someone can convince me that
I need kgicon (I have fbcon compiled in my kernel) and that I can program
a device driver in 5 hours (without any prior experience even with BIOS) I
could think about it...

BTW, I have a probably stupid question: what do I need kgi for? I mean,
the kernel thing. I have fbcon compiled, but not the kgi patch. libGGI
compiles without the genkgi driver - which the fbdev driver uses. Now,
some programs work (XGGI) using a fbdev display and some don't (cube3d).
If somebody can explain it to me, please do it...

Also, the configure.in files of libGGI and libGII hardcode the "-g"
compiler option, so I cannot compile them without it (even specifying
CFLAGS when ./configure-ing).

For kgi, I have the kernel sources in another place (not /usr/src/linux),
but make doesn't recognize this. And 'make' doesn't complete successfuly
(but after some modifications it patches the kernel). Is that normal?

Thanks,

Cesar Augusto Rorato Crusius      o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Stanford University               ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
www.stanford.edu/~crusius

HE WHO SACRIFICES FUNCTIONALITY FOR EASE OF USE
LOSES BOTH AND DESERVES NEITHER