  From: James Simmons <jsimmons@edgeglobal.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

Re: GGI and XFree86 and stuff

> 1: Hopefully PP buffers will arrive this weekend.  If not I will fall back
> to something simpler with explicit userspace command buffer flushes.
> Faster than ioctls but still a lot slower than PP buffers.  I can allocate
> larger buffers to compensate somewhat for this, but it is still a stopgap.

That would be great!!! Will you put this into CVS? If not could you send
the parts you can. I want to get a good look at the ping-pong buffer code.
Especially since I'm almost done with the fbcon/fbdev sperate. I should
finish my patch for the kernel this weekend :) I even laid down the code
to port the generic monitor driver over to fbdev. I also want the /dev/fb
drivers to figure out the correct video timings on the fly like the
kgicon drivers can. I now when I go to 1024x768 with matroxfb the display
is not as nice as 640x480.

> That thunking
> process is why PP buffers are so useful - since userspace does not have to
> do explicit command queue flushing, the thunking can take place
> concurrently with userspace command buffer fills.

PP are so nice :)