  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:09:42 -0700 (PDT)

Re: GGI video?

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> "Jon M. Taylor" wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > > Does GGI have a layer for framegrabbing, TV tuning, and the like?
> >
> >         No, although it would be a snap to write a LibGGI extension
> > library which could target the video4linux API.  Hm, that's a good
> > project idea, too bad I don't have supported hardware |-/.
>
> Or the competition, v4l2:  http://millennium.diads.com/bdirks/v4l2.htm
>
> Or assimilate v4l2 into libggivideo.  :)

	Well, a truly well-designed LibGGIVideo would be platform- and
API-independent, so what would probably happen is that a Libv4l2
LibGGIVideo target would be written, as well as targets for KGI devices
that happen to support video features, and even Win32/Mac/BeOS interfaces
to video hardware.  v42l itself is the OS device interface, so we could
also hit that directly with another target if needed, much like the way
that LibGGI can target X, Xlib, or DGA.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'