  From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:38:58 -0400

Re: GGI and XFree86 and stuff

(copied to linux-s3)

Jos Hulzink wrote:
> Besides, you would not do me a pleasure if you start writing yet
> another ViRGE driver. I already got the idea my job is useless for the big
> kernel guys still don't seem to understand the joy of KGI / GGI. Can't we
> just write one driver for many chips instead of making many drivers for
> the one chip ?

Another comment:  I agree with you!

I think of s3lib as a logical progression from GGI:

GGI's capabilities are a modular superset of the needs of any one GGI
application.
Similarly, s3lib's capabilities [will be] a modular superset of the
needs of any S3 application.

Once feature-complete, anybody wanting to utilize S3 hardware can use
this one library instead of reinventing the wheel time and again,
duplicating code time and again.

As a potential positive side effect, if use of this library is
widespread, it will certainly get the attention of S3, and show them the
benefits of open source and Internet collaboration.  Down with NDAs!
;-)

	Jeff

--
Entropy requires no maintenance.