  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:52:22 -0700 (PDT)

Re: GGI and XFree86 and stuff

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, James Simmons wrote:

> > Besides, you would not do me a pleasure if you start writing yet
> > another ViRGE driver. I already got the idea my job is useless for the big
> > kernel guys still don't seem to understand the joy of KGI / GGI. Can't we
> > just write one driver for many chips instead of making many drivers for
> > the one chip ?
>
> I have plans to port parts of your code to /dev/fb and will be porting
> your code to /dev/gfx. Jos have you implemented ping pong buffers in your
> driver yet? It could be time to show off the power of ping pong buffers.

	Most of the work of implementing PP buffering for KGIcon will be
in fbcon-kgi.c.  The drivers will just get kgicommands set to them a lot
faster |->.  I have a partial implementation of PP buffers written, but
unfortunately 2.2.x does not export to modules many of the functions that
Steffen's pagemapping code depends on.  I am going to take another crack
at it this weekend, and either I will be able to make it work using manual
PTE manipulation or I will have to fork KGIcon to a 2.3-based branch.
2.3.x has a lot of new memory management and I/O features which would be
very useful in any case.  We'll see.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'