  From: Jan Kneschke <Jan.Kneschke@kiel.netsurf.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:31:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: [KGI] Detection of PCI device

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Rodolphe Ortalo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have one user for the Cirrus Logic 546x driver which had problems
> with the PCI device detection the driver does. It seems the way
> I did it is now rather deprecated (I use the pcibios_find_device(...)
> function). But this is a guess; could you tell me what is the right
> way to detect a graphic chipset on the PCI bus now and point me
> to a driver which does it this way ?
>
> Anyway, it seems I should update my driver a little....
>
> [in chipset/; S3/8696x.c or S3/virge.c seems to have pretty complete
> functions...]

don't use pcibios_find_device, use pci_find_device instead.
(include/linux/pci.h:1229 in 2.2.10)
perhaps he has disabled pci-bios-access and hits the pci-bus directly.

the drivers are using diffrent approaches to detect the chipset.
mine (86c96x.c) looks for a pci-vga-card and ask if it's a S3 (via
pci_find_class), Jos' driver looks for the chipset directly (via
pci_find_device).

both work fine. mine is just more general because it scans every
pci-vga-adapter.

> Rodolphe

thats all
  Jan

---
       Project: GGI - S3-Vision-driver -- http://www.ggi-project.org/
         -)=  Jan (Weigon) Kneschke -- Kiel -- Northern Germany =(-