  From: Andreas Beck <becka@ggi-project.org>
  Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 00:37:50 +0200

[wd@denx.de: Graphics (SVGA?) Support for Intel 810 Chipset under Linux?]

Hi folks !

Some of you have already noticed it:

----- Forwarded message from Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> -----
To: Simon Pogarcic <sim@suse.de>
cc: Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>, becka@ggi-project.org,
        seeger@ggi-project.org, bod@xfree86.org,
        Koen Gadeyne <koen.gadeyne@barco.com>
Subject: Graphics (SVGA?) Support for Intel 810 Chipset under Linux?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>

Hi!

First let me apologize if you feel that you are  definitely  not  the
person  to send this message to - I have to admit that the whole area
of graphics in basicly unknow territory for me: I'm just a dumb  user
in this area. [Not so in other areas, I hope :-) ]

However, I'm responsible for getting Embedded Linux running as OS for
a high-volume consumer product, and the decision was made to base the
first series of this product on an Intel motherboard  using  the  810
Chipset. While I don't expect problems with the rest of the OS (based
on RedHat 6.0 Linux) we have no display yet :-(

We need support for a linear 32 bit display, 640 x 480, with entesion
to allow for overlay. [I hope this makes  sense  to  you,  I've  just
copied  what  our  engineer  told  me;  if  not,  please ask for more
details.]

And we need it *fast*.

Please let me know if this is something where you can (and  want  to)
help,  or  if  you know somebody else who can, or if there is already
work going on to support  the  810  chipset.

Donations in form of hardware and/or money and even  contracting  for
the development are definitely an option and can be discussed.

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang Denk, DENX Software Engineering

--
Shakespeare's Law of Prototyping: (Hamlet III, iv, 156-160)
        O, throw away the worser part of it,

----- End forwarded message -----

It looks like we can "have that job". I have talked to Wolfgang, and offered
him to forward his request to the list. Wolfgang is currently trying to get
the right documentation out of Intel (he already sent me lots of stuff,
but not some register level docs on the graphics part).

So the question is:

Do we have someone on the list that wants to take the job and is sure to be
able to handle it ?

Hardware and Support will not be an issue according to Wolfgang.

If noone else does it, I will do, but if I can use some more time on
other stuff, I'd appreciate it.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =