  From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Niklas_H=F6glund?= <niklas@canit.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:12:14 +0200

Re: S3 ViRGE FIFO

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 09:38:57PM +0200, Martin Lexa wrote:
> Niklas Höglund wrote:
>
> > I applied the patch. It makes my monitor turn off in all four
> > modes. If I remove the patch, all works again. My ViRGE is a
> > revision 6 (86C325), just like yours.
>
>   That's very strange. And in X everything is allright (if you are using
> S3V server), because the values are taken from xfree src and there are
> set as default values (I think that it's FIFO_TYPE=2 or 0).
>   Could you try any other monitor (like generic or something)?

I normally use the XF86_SVGA X-server as I read that XF86_S3V is
depreciated, but I used the S3V server a year ago or so.  I'll try the
generic monitor, and I'll try to pinpoint what in the patch causes the
error.

P.S. I must recommend the driver and the KGI(con) system that it uses
the hardware to its maximum. Using this driver I was able to set
1280x1024x16, which I can't set in Windows or using XF86_SVGA. It made
the monitor roll around, though. A slight modification to 1270x1024x16
cured that, but the refresh rate still makes it unusable.

--
						Niklas