  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:17:53 +0200

Re: Accels and /dev/gfx.

> When you say that VC switching will be disabled on open(/dev/fb),
> are you saying that I can choose between virtual consoles and
> text mode, or a single console and the penguin logo? (And high
> refresh -- much more important).

No. What he is trying to say, is that if you start with fbcon enabled, all
is as it is now (the kernel doesn't implicitly open /dev/fb or something
for the text consoles). But if you open /dev/fb from a user process, this
will disable VT-switching.

Basically that's what most usermode processes nowadays do anyway via
VT_PROCESS. IMHO that is bad, but probably the best you can do without
proper video engine virtualisation.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =