  From: Kien Pham <xengren@yahoo.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 02:35:05 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Shared GGI

--- Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

> ggi_visual
>
> > Wouldn't it be a lot nicer and simpler if you made that
> > a GGI-target?
>
> That is not possible. He allocates even the _visual_
> itself in shared mem,
> if I got him right. This allows to access the visual from
> outside processes.
Great, the Server process can do this. The client side can
return a shmat()ed visual, etc.
> Targets already get the visual, preallocated, to fill it
> out. He basically
Maybe a little glue code needed. But it's better than
merging IMHO. Anyways, it's sort of immaterial because I
don't want to volunteer to code it. He can decide what he
wants. I was merely making a suggestion. :)
> needs anything LibGGI ever allocates in SHM for that.
>
> This is IMHO not possible to implement in a GGI target.
> If it were, that
> would of course be the best solution. So if someone has
> an idea on how to do
> it, I'd like to hear it.

> My idea about it was to use his patches to route all
> malloc/free stuff
> through ggi_malloc/free/... and then one could use
> LD_PRELOAD or similar
> mechanisms to override the standard binding.
Hmmm. Not very nice. Might end up looking like a "hack."
                    ~K.P.