  From: Emmanuel Marty <core@suntech.fr>
  To  : andreas.beck@ggi-project.org
  Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 05:30:22 +0000

Re: PenguinPlay IRC meeting. GGI developers wanted.

Hoping I don't get bounced off the list, as every time I post a
message lately..

> > If any of you could turn up for the first meeting, it would be greatly
> > appreciated, our tentative time/location is:
> >     21:00 GMT, Saturday 8 August, channel #pplay on Efnet.
>
> O.K. - I'd _love_ to be there, but I will be away on holiday, without net
> access, so I have to leave this to others ... hope at least one of us finds
> the time. Steffen ? Emmanuel ?

Yup, I will be there, with my GGI hat and my ex-ubisoft developer hat :)

> > Win32 and the PlayStation, at least.
> W32 port is under way. PlayStation - oh well ... if someone gets LibGGI
> compiled there ...

As someone said on the list, getting libggi to compile on playstation is
technically possible, but .. *shrug* that would leave enough memory to
write a pong, basically. Maybe it would work if we can shift the difficulty
of translating libggi to psx API calls to _cross compile time_, not runtime.

> > The main components we plan to have are:
> >     * A sound API + some  kind of sound server to do mixing etc.
>
> Hmm - Wouter has made a nice server called GSI for the GGI-port of descent
> (the first one to run on Linux-Alpha :-). Might be worth a look.

Wouter's work is awesome, and definitely worth a look. It is of professional
quality for usage in games.

> > It would ease my job (as the maintainer of this pg2d) if we could use
> > GGI on all platforms. but if performance issues crop up, or GGI is not
> > available, then pg2d will go native.

libggi should be available on any platform. If it isn't, it is to be ported. The
most important missing one is win32, and last time I checked, progress
was good (Marcus? :).. It should make use of the beefiest native
display too. Just give me a minute to see how I can program the SGI
crime board directly.. *grin*

> > For lower level needs, there are 3rd party API's which can be used, GGI
> > and OpenGL seem like excellent options to me.  If there is a hole
> > (ie something does not exist on some important platform), then PPlay needs
> > to fill it.
> You can count on us also trying to fill holes we gain knowledge of.

Well, for OpenGL, mesa now integrates a native ggi layer .. Would be a good
idea to help the mesa team accelerate it to a level where it can be used in
in production code.. :)

--
Emmanuel