  From: James A Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu>
  To  : Steve Cheng <elmert@ipoline.com>
  Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:03:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: kgicon success report

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Steve Cheng wrote:

> Now that I got time to try kgicon again, this is just a success report to
> assure you guys that kgicon actually does work :-)
>
> Probably most recent kgicon.  (CVS this morning.)
>
> Kernel is stock 2.1.117.
>
> The framebuffer rendering devices were compiled as modules, but after
> insmod'ing them kgicon.o will insert.
>
> Once inserted, screen turns white with block cursor, but console responds.
> A VC switch restores console contents.  Is this 'expected' behaviour?

Yes. I have the same setup as from what I see below. I had great success.

> If I try the libggi demos (great work on display-fbdev, Andrew!), the
> console rendering is intermixed with the actual graphics.  After the program
> exits, the terminal maybe messed up (cured by `reset'), and the console text
> becomes blue (cured by VC switch).
>
> If I try SVGATextMode with kgicon I get oops and be unable to switch VCs
> afterwards.
>
> Anything else you want me to try or more info ?

Haven't tried what you did. Heres what I tried. Don't run XF86_SVGA. It
will skrink your screen as still will be console. Just type shutdown -r
now. You will need a magnify glass to see it. I have been temped to try
XF68_FBDEV. I will soon. I just hate switch both servers back and forth
but know that Andy figured out how to compile kgicon.o into the kernel I
will be run it all the time. I will let you know the results of that one.
The only think is XF68_FBDEv is totally unaccelerated. I hope its not two
slow.