  From: Tristan Wibberley <twibberley@llamacom.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:42:03 +0100

Re: Linux GameDev IRC meeting (fwd)

Jeff wrote:
> > Notes:
> > * The commercial people will be interested most in *portable* APIs/SDKs/...
> > Itīs easier to convince them to use some new library if this lib
> > supports Win32 *and* Playstation *and* MacOS *and* Linux in a portable
> > way instead of *only* Linux.
>
> it is folly to try to support cross-platform to the PSX...I am a
> professional game developer (most of what I do is on the PSX, been
> doing that platform for about 2.5 years now) and it is so proprietary
> that it would be a large waste of memory and speed (which is sorely
> needed on a 2 meg 33MHz machine) to try to put a layer in between the
> game and the hardware API (which, given, sucks, but it's more in how
> it's laid out more than it's speed).  Concentrate more on going
> linux/win32/mac/un*x than trying to port to a console as well (never
> mind the NDA issues)...

Because there is a single standard hardware api on a console, much of
the internal libggi fluff can be left out for cross compiles to those
platforms. And because ggi is so modularised, you only need to load into
memory the bits you need. This means that it is likely that only a few
extra KB per extension will be used by libggi.

--
Tristan