  From: Dirk Lattermann <dlatt@t-online.de>
  Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:56:12 +0200

kgicon, vga, S3 964

Hello,

I had success with the vga-kgicon. The modes
	320x200 8bpp
	640x200 1bpp
	640x400 1bpp
	640x480 1bpp
worked (I had to switch consoles to see text, perhaps because I
didn't use vga-fb but vgacon).
IIRC 640x4?0 8bpp is not std vga and thus doesn't work with
the vga driver. But what is the highest bpp that should work?
And why doesnt 320x200 run with a lower bpp than 8?

Scrolling back (shift+PgUp) doesnt work, either.

But, I am happy to have a running kgicon-driver!

The next thing I wanted to try, of course, is the native support
of my S3 Vision 964 chip. Is this one still supported? In the
driver source, 86c96x.c, the function call for detecting a 964 is
commented out, only 968 is probed. I removed the comment and now
insmod (with DEBUG_LEVEL 255) complains about a wrong mem_law.
With the old Dali driver, there was an insmod option (I think law_base)
which I could set to the value of my .X.err file (0xf3000000). This
option doesn't seems to exist any longer. I tried to insert this value
into the struct s3_964_mem_law (second and fourth value), but it's
already rather obscure to me what I'm doing by this.

Perhaps someone of you is interested in this...

--
Dirk Lattermann   | Information is not knowledge | Beauty is not love
dlatt@t-online.de | Knowledge is not wisdom      | Love is not music