  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:27:49 +1000

I have seen the.. boot logo!

I compiled the kgicon driver into the kernel and booted.  The penguin
logo looks good (it no longer scrolls off the screen in a eye-blink
like the last time I saw it with vesafb).

This is what I did, (hopefully I don't forget something important) :

   -  edit kgicon/kgi/.make_rules, and comment out the -DMODULE from the
      MODFLAGS variable.

   -  edit kgicon/kgi/fbcon-kgi.c, look for "initial geometry" and
      change the kgicon_* initializers to something that definitely
      works (e.g.  width=320, height=200, bpp=8 with the VGA driver).

   -  cd kgicon/kgi ; make clean ; make

   -  edit /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/Makefile, and add the following
      line somewhere before the "include" in there.

          L_OBJS += /home/ggi/kgicon/kgi/kgicon.o

      (or wherever your ggi tree happens to be)

   -  edit /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/fbmem.c, look for "vgafb_*"
      and duplicate the things, changing "vga" to "kgi".  Make sure that
      the fb_drivers[] table contains an entry for kgi (but without any
      #ifdef..#endif).

   -  reconfigure the kernel, and turn off CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE and
      CONFIG_FB_VGA.  Because the driver is quite big (55K here), I had
      to disable sound support as well (so the kernel still fitted into
      zImage).

   -  recompile the kernel and reboot.

(NB: the above is all very hackish -- use at your own risk :).

Anyway, kgicon definitely works compiled into the kernel.  If it wasn't
for the race condition oopses that happens in lynx & mutt (and the lack
of sound) (and the fact that modules are _much_ easier to debug with an
MDA second head) then I'd be using this setup full-time.

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/