  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : Faramir <rob@xania.demon.co.uk>
  Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 16:05:22 -0700 (PDT)

Re: GGI compile?

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Faramir wrote:

> Folks
> 	I've been watching GGI for a little while now and am very keen to
> get my hands dirty. Having downloaded the devel CVS and messed around with
> it, I've failed to get a working kernel.  The first problem seems to be
> that patch file provided is only for 2.1.105.

	It is not necessary to patch the kernel any more.  Some changes
are being made the the CVS tree tonight, and that stuff should go away.

> Compiling produced a series
> of errors which I spent time trying to resolve, resulting in a kernel
> which crashed on bootup.  I've tried various configurations.
> 	I keep seeing people posting about their changes, some using very
> recent devel kernels and I'm wondering what hackery they're using so they
> can develop.
> 	Am I missing something? Please advise,

	Yes.  The kgicon directory contains a bridge that will allow you
to use KGI video drivers on a stock linux kernel (you need 2.1.107 or
later, and you should try to use the newest one).  Do 'su -c "make
install"' in the kgicon directory to make a required symlink, and then do
a make in the kgi directory under that to configure and build a driver.
After that is done, run the "insert" script in the kgi directory and you
should be up and running.

	We need to modify the makefile system after Jason does his thing
to automate all of this.  I'll give it a try tonight.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed