  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 18:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

Re: S3 Problems

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Lutz Oberst wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a S3 Trio64 PCI Graphics Card with a 86C764 Chipset.
> I'm using the 2.1.117 Kernel with fbsupport compiled in and
> ggi-devel-980822. I tried to compile the driver with these options:
>
> ---
> MON_CLASS=multisync
> MON_TYPE=Iiyama-MT-9017T
>
> CHIP_CLASS=IBM
> CHIP_TYPE=vga
>
> ACCEL_CLASS=S3
> ACCEL_TYPE=generic
>
> CLK_CLASS=fixed
> CLK_TYPE=vga
>
> DAC_CLASS=S3
> DAC_TYPE=trio64

	You are mixing VGA components with S3 components.  Use S3 Trio64
chipset, S3 IDAC clock, S3 Trio64 DAC, and generic accel (Trio64 accel is
broken right now) instead of you current setup.

> When I insmod the driver, I get this:
>
> ---
> [root]/home/road/degas/kgicon/kgi/# insmod kgicon.o
> IBM VGA chipset driver rev $Revision: 1.3 $
> Detected 256KBytes of Video RAM
> VGA clock driver rev $Revision: 1.1 $,  common code:$Revision: 1.2 $
> generic.c:285: S3 accel driver loaded
> IBM VGA driver loaded.
> error: kgicon: Cannot find any usable video mode.
> VGA clock driver unloaded
> exit_kgi: Finished.
> kgicon.o.errs: init_module: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt
> ----
>
> "Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt" is german

	Did this come from a KGI driver or kgicon?  English language is
standard in GGI stuff IIRC....

> and means
> device or resource busy. Why is it busy ? Lsmod reports nothing:

	Try the changes I suggested and see if the error goes away.

> ---
> [root]/home/road/degas/kgicon/kgi/# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ---
>
> Trying to use the "S3 86c765" chipset option doesn't
> work also. Then the screen gets screwed up. The clock
> drivers "s3sdac" and "s3idac" don't work with my Card
> also. What can I do now ?

	Oh, OK.  Well the accel driver *might be a proble, try using the
generic accel driver.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'