  From: Neal Tucker <ntucker@vax.area.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 05:49:16 -0700

kgicon troubles

Ok, finally getting around to trying out kgicon, and I'm
running into what I am certain is a very simple problem.
I'm not too module-savvy, though, so it stops me:

insmod tells me:
  "kernel_version needed, but can't be found"

I have tried it with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS on and off (I
gather from reading the list that this should be off,
so I spent more time trying to make it work that way).

I assume it  has something to do with this bit of gunk
from linux/module.h:

#ifndef __NO_VERSION__
#include <linux/version.h>
const char __module_kernel_version[] __attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =
"kernel_version=" UTS_RELEASE;
#ifdef MODVERSIONS
const char __module_using_checksums[] __attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =
"using_checksums=1";
#endif
#endif

Now, if I do `nm kgicon.o | grep kernel_version`, I get:
000000f0 ? __module_kernel_version
but I don't know what '?' means, since the man page for nm
tells me to look at the 'binutils' entry in info, and I &$&%#$!
HATE info because it doesn't help me at all.

<rant>
Info should be killed.  I have no idea why anyone would advocate
such an obfuscated piece of shit as the basic access tool for
critical information.  I'm sure it's great and very powerful once
you know how to use it, but it's done nothing but get in my way,
and I often find that it's the only place certain information is
stored.  I really need to find the info2man utils that I've heard
about.  Die, info, die.
</rant>

Any ideas?  (about kernel_version, that is -- not info :-)

-Neal Tucker