  From: Adrian Ratnapala <s369625@student.uq.edu.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:47:20 +0000

Re: Video memory.

Jon M. Taylor wrote:

>         In which case you use a DirectBuffer and you are all set,
> rendering into texture mem instead of RAM

This brings me to a related issue.  I could be talking nonsense here,
butthis has been worrying me.

What if I have a nice sprite.  (Actually, hunderds of the things).  Now I
wan't
to blit them to screen as fast as possible.  So I as say
    "libGGI, could you get me a nice block of memory to put these sprites
in?  It'd be nice
    to have it in video memory, but it could be in main memory if you are not
doing that
    today."

And then say
    "libGGI, could you please blit than to screen, as fast as you can, (here
is the pixmap width/height/stride).

And when we have finished:
    "libGGI, could you free that memory for me?"

I definately _don't_ want to open a whole GGI visual or any other heavey
object for each such sprite,
(since I have hundreds of them).