  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:03:55 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Can I do that ?

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> > > The so-called  "KGI drivers"
> > > should include in fact two modules, one to be loaded by the kernel and
> > > one  by libggi.
> >
> > 	Kernel modules cannot be loaded without root privileges.  If you
> > ran part of LibGGI as root daemon, it could maybe do something like this.
> > This starts to look like Linus' "superserver" concept.
>
> I think what he meant is that a KGI driver should be accompanied by
> a special libbggi driver-library that is optimized for that driver.

	IMHO this is a bad idea.  LibGGI is NOT the only userspace
library/platform which can have KGI-using driver-libraries.  Suppose
someday XGGI, Mesa, Berlin, DirectX, LibGGI2D, LibGGI3D, LibGWT and God
only knows how many more have their own specialized driver-libs.  Should
we include *all* of them with the KGI drivers?  And there is another
issue, too.  If we ever expect to get into the kernel, we can't have KGI
drivers dragging around userspace code.  I guarantee you Linus won't
accept that.  Package the driver-libs with the userspace code that uses
them.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'