  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:57:04 +1000

Kgicon text modes

I've just committed a new fbcon-kgi.c which supports text modes.  Works
fine here with the VGA driver, and I'll try it tomorrow with the ET6000
(and fix some things to do with the _latest_ changes to the fbdev API).

It's a major hack though, using "bpp == 13" to mean a text mode, because
there's no good way to specify the _type_ of FB (e.g. FB_TYPE_TEXT) to
the fbdev set_var() function.  Part of this huge hackness is being
limited to just one font : VGA8x16.  Again, because the fbdev API can't
tell you the font-size via FBIO_GETVSCREENINFO, and also because the
font handling code in fbcon.c:fbcon_setup() looks a bit whacked.

To set a text mode :

    fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -g 640 400 640 400 13

Note that you have to multiply the screen size (80x25) by 8x16 (like it
was with KGI before the infamous dpp change).  It also works on the
insmod commandline (kgicon_bpp=13).  For fast scrolling, a large
virtual-y is best, e.g. :

    fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -g 720 480 720 800 13

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/