  From: Marcus Sundberg <e94_msu@elixir.e.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:38:40 +0200

Re: libggi internals (Re: LibGGI3D RFC)

> On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 12:03:32PM +0200, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> > IMO libggi, libgwt, libggi2d and libggi3d (and definitely kgicon)
> > should be in different tarballs when we make releases. First of all
> > it's rediculous to try getting 5 completely different products to
> > follow an identical release cycle. Secondly not everyone is
> > interrested in all packages.
>
> Beware.  Any   *really* accelerated KGI   driver will probably combine
> commands from libggi, libggi2d and  sometimes libggi3d to send them to
> the acceleration  fifo since most cards  can't handle context changes,
> especially context changes with unfinished commands.  Which means that
> for a  card  you have one  KGI  driver with  an associated  user-level
> libggi/ggi2d/ggi3d extension.
>
> This means that specialized drivers are dependant  on all libggi* libs
> and on kgicon   too probably.  If  you do  unsynchronized releases for
> each of them life will be terrible for those who want to maintain some
> of them.

Hardware driver-libs for libggi* will be distributed together with their
corresponding KGI driver.
And the driver-libs does not depend on what version the library is.
libggi was designed to provide binary- and source-compability between
all possible combinations of different versions for many years.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |      E-Mail: e94_msu@e.kth.se