  From: Marcus Sundberg <e94_msu@elixir.e.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:15:32 +0200

Re: Can I do that ?

> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Olivier Galibert wrote:
>
> > With GGI, and existing extensions if needed, can I:
> > - open a 256x256x(3b  per color) screen (having  to go to 15/16/24bits
> >   is of course acceptable :-)
>
> 	I think the 3bpp will work, at least with an abstract memory
> visual.  LibGGI folks, do we have a construction-based color layout scheme
> yet?  I heard people working on it but I had my head buried in kgicon at
> that point....

Yes!
Of course, none of the subsystems/hardware drivers that libggi runs
on has support for any 9bit mode, so it's a theoretical question,
but the libggi API supports it. :)

> > - every  vbl  update part  of the   buffers by   copying in them  some
> >   rectangular pictures in main memory.  These pictures' depth is 7bits
> >   and require a color table lookup for each pixel.
>
> 	Sure, if your target supports WaitRayPos() for vblank
> synchronization.  AFAIK only the SVGALib target does right now.  I could
> add it to the Glide target, but it would require polling (how does the
> SVGALib target do it?)

It calls vga_waitretrace() ;-) (which probably does polling)

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |      E-Mail: e94_msu@e.kth.se