  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 21:23:09 +0200 (MEST)

Re: Multiple boards.

> Should a single driver handle all detected instances of that board?

I'd say: _exactly_ identical boards should be handled by a
one-driver-for-all method.

For things like the S3 drivers which can be made of multiple components,
I'd say one driver per instance, as they could have different components.

> if the driver should be loaded twice,we need to either pass a bus and
> devfn (for PCI) to the driver, wich isn't exactly what most users have
> a clue about,

If they do not have a clue how to say which driver to assign to which
card, and the cards cannot be autoprobed, I'd say they shouldn't use
multihead. :-)

CU,Andy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =