  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:08:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Kernel 2.1.x on Debian?

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Sengan Baring-Gould wrote:
> mind when trying a new kernel out with a fresh installation of Debian
> 2.0. Any
> web pages I should have a look at? How important is upgrading procps ?

I haven't had to upgrade anything.  The hamm (2.0) utilities
all seem to detect and deal with 2.1 just fine; despite there
not being a kernel-image_2.1 .deb.  There was some trouble with ipmasq vs
ipchains but that may be now fixed; if you do IP forwarding and turn on
the SYSCTL interface, you need to echo 1 > /proc/net/ipv4/ip_forward (or
something named vaguely that I don't remember right now.) in your
startup script when booting 2.1.

As for the way Debian packages kernel sources well, I have my differences
of opinion.  This is what I have to do to a fresh Debian system to get
it the way I like it.

rm -rf /usr/include/linux /usr/include/asm
rm /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.1.xx /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include/asm

This way which kernel headers I use all hing on where the symlink
/usr/src/linux is pointing as opposed to having duplicate copies
of header trees and that mess.  The Debian developers have some reason
why they think this is a bad idea; for experienced developers though
their way seems to be an attempt at "dummy proofing" and
the above makes life peachy.

Yesterday while being bored at a training session I compiled 2.1.115
on my Debian 2.0 laptop and got 1bpp kgicon consoles working; no problems
so far.

--
Brian S. Julin