  From: Nikita Proskourine <nop1@cornell.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:09:05 -0400

setting up GGI

Greetings, fellow GGI developers.

I have just joined this list and I have lots of questions about GGI, KGI,
EvStack and so forth. I apologize if I am asking trivial questions: I am a
Linux newbie. I am having trouble getting GGI to work. I originally was
going to use GGI release version 0.0.9 because it claimed to have MediaGX
video support (I am using Compaq Presario 2200, which has a MediaGX
motherboard) and X-Windows does not. At that time I was using kernel
v2.0.29, part of Slackware 3.2 that I installed from a CD. GGI didn't
refuse to make patches, but I think there were some errors in an error file
(listed as "hmm, looked like a unified diff to me"). Kernel did build, but
when I compiled the Cyrix drivers and tried to "insmod" the graphics
module, my screen went into flashing graphics, so I figured something was
wrong with the drivers or the kernel version. Later I read that there were
some modification and bug fixes done to the MediaGX in March, so I got the
latest stable snapshot, latest developer snapshot, and kernel v2.1.105. I
wanted to use the stable snapshot, but it didn't have Cyrix drivers for
some reason, so I went with the developer snapshot. It took me a while to
get at least some of it to work. Makefile doesn't work because the
directory names in the makefile don't match the actual tree. I also had to
chmod all scripts to add "execute" flag. Finally I discovered how to use
these scripts. At first the kernel build failed while assembling
trampoline.S, and I decided that it was an assembler bug, so I got the
latest version of binutils and that indeed solved the problem. When the
kernel built successfully, I thought my woes are over. Not so. I tried to
build the drivers, but many include files were in the wrong directories, so
I had to move them around. When I got them the way I thought they should
be, there were still many errors returned in gx.c and some other files that
look like genuine errors (missing functions, etc.) Can someone help me with
this?

Thanks.
Nikita.