  From: Adrian Ratnapala <s369625@student.uq.edu.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 12:00:21 +0000

Re: 3d

Christian Reiniger wrote:

> Jon M. Taylor wrote:
>

> Perhaps he means OpenGL should be the only user level API, i.e. it wouldn't
> be a good idea to try to replace OpenGL with some other API.
>
> I for my part would like to see some minimalistic hardware abstraction lib
> (libggi3d) with Mesa/OpenGL sitting on top of it.
>
> >       But if you *also* start from nothing, you can create a small
> >LibGGI3D that would do primitive 3D rendering/shading, and that is all
> >some people want.

Yes.  Also I wouldn't mind too much if that lib had slightly different interfaces for
differentcards (obviously you would want as much comonality as possible).  The idea
is for it to sit
between high level libs like Mesa as well as other things (eg. a D3D clone or
whatever).

If you don't want to do this, then such libs will have to use a the raw kernel
interface, I
suppose this would be OK provided this interface was stable enough.  (Although it
does
limit portability).