  From: Kien Pham <xengren@yahoo.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 07:42:19 -0700 (PDT)

So you want to port Java Swing instead?

Not a good idea IMHO. Mostly because the benefits would be close to
nil. AWT peers will benefit from GGI hardware acceleration. The
widgets are being written by Berlin( 90% of the work is done here.)
All we have to do is wrap Berlin widgets up in JNI calls and we're
done. That easy...or hard if you want to see it that way. This little
feat will allow GGI to run hundreds upon thousands of already written
Java 1.1 apps. that run unwell on X. AWT is not dead. It is still part
of all the embeede Java thingies. Most importantly, it's part of the
PersonalJava specification. It is long from dead. (A few years in
internet terms.)
                                  ~K.P.

P.S. Didn't want ot subscribe becuase of the high bandwidth...so I
entered the fray late...I hope not toooo late. :)