  From: jonas_b@bitsmart.com
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 22:09:27 +0200

Re: More progress with kgicon

On Sun, Aug 02, 1998 at 01:21:27AM +1000, Andrew Apted wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I've committed a new'n'improved fbcon-kgi.c which fixes many bugs
> (palette setting, panning, splitline) but more importantly changes the
> way initialization works : it is no longer "init_kgi() sets mode and
> then we create a var_screeninfo" it is now "first create a var_screeninfo
> and then set the mode in kgifb_set_var()".

This change broke the Matrox Millennium driver. It says MMIO == NULL.
This version seems to use the defmode from the driver instead of the defmode
structure in fbcon-kgi.c, but the Matrox driver
doesn't save any defmode, because the driver is MMIO only and can't use the
ordinary VGA text mode, it uses the real framebuffer with a different layout
and doesn't use the vga framebuffer.

I tried to set the mode->mmio to the correct value, but then insmod crashed
with "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual
address 00000000"

Any Idea?

/ Jonas

--