  From: Sengan Baring-Gould <sengan@seqnet.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:26:50 -0600

Re: 3d

teunis wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
>
> > James A Simmons wrote:
> > >
> > > This is so we can come up with a standard API that will work with everything.
> >
> > Microsoft calls such things Direct3D. Do you know what mess that is? :o)
>
> AFAIK last fight we had IIRC we'd decided on using OpenGL as the API.
> Makes the commercial world happier amongst other things - and there's
> already an implementation (unaccelerated at moment, MesaGL)

I agree with that. Open GL is an existing standard. I don't believe we need yet
anotherAPI. The existence of Mesa means that we can use that and accelerate it
slowly. A much
better scenario than starting from nothing. Yes, we'll need kernel drivers (at least
for MXi,
we will), but not a new API.

Sengan