  From: Marcus Sundberg <e94_msu@elixir.e.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:51:28 +0200

Re: Snapshot permissions - again

> I didn't think the problem was with my snapshot generation method.

I don't either. The problem is afaik with the anonymous CVS server,
but that doesn't mean we have to live with it.

> Well
> anyway, I have now fixed the permissions on the current dir structure (with
> a script that took more than 15 seconds to run, so if I need to do it again,
> I would like to have your script).

Well, I wasn't talking about running it, I was talking about writing
it. ;)

But I think the simplest way is that you update from the devel
CVS-server (if you don't have an account I'm sure Emmanuel will give
you one) which has the correct exec-bits (and they _ARE_ preserved
when updating with cvs version 1.9 so it's not your cvs that's broken)

For now I'l attach a file with a list of all current files that needs
the exec bit set, so you should just be able to do
cat ggiexecfiles.txt | xargs chmod +x
before making the tar.gz snapshots.

> The question is, will it stay that way
> if a new file is added to the CVS that has the exec bit set?  I update from
> the CVS server with this command, "/usr/bin/cvs update -PAd", is that
> correct?

Yep that's the correct way to do it. You might want to add the '-z9' flag
to save bandwidth though (everything is gziped during the transfer).

> P.S.  Are there any other files that need special permissions?  Like read
> only, or lesser permissions for other users?

Nope. (My personal opininon is that _all_ files in a .tar.gz should have
_at least_ permission 644, but I've seen makers of other software that
for some reason removes the write bit on files)

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |      E-Mail: e94_msu@e.kth.se

ggiexecfiles.txt