  From: Marcus Sundberg <e94_msu@elixir.e.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:33:10 +0200

Re: 3d

> Ive never actually used mesa, but from what I've heard, it has a large
> overhead....

Mesa implements the OpenGL API, and I seriously doubt that there's any
noticeable overhead when just passing OpenGL calls to the hardware.

But then there's not much consumer-oriented HW that implements the
full OpenGL API, and in those cases Mesa will have to translate the
calls to what the hardware wants, or even emulate them in software.

Whether you want to call this "overhead" or not is up to you,
but I wouldn't do that. ANY 3D API designed to run on more
than one specific type of hardware would have to work the
same way.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |      E-Mail: e94_msu@e.kth.se