  From: Torgeir Veimo <Torgeir.Veimo@vertech.no>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:06:19 +0000

Re: 3d

James A Simmons wrote:

> Why we are discussing this. I have been working with the TGA video adapter
> and have notice it supports gourand shading and z buffering. It does not
> have texture mapping. Alot of cards have gourand shading and z buffering.
> How should we support this? Any ideas?

There is no "correct" sollution for this. One can provide a common API
for rasterization, but not for all kinds of acceleration. Drivers which
implements such a common API are called mini client drivers (in the SGI
/ MS OpenGL driver kit).

There allready exist a minor API in Mesa for rasterization, which means
a driver can accellerate these.

Better cards need fine-tuned implementations. They are called
Installable client drivers.

--
-Torgeir