  From: Alexander Larsson <alla@lysator.liu.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:18:34 +0200

Re: kgicon, etc

> That latest & greatest I suppose (2.1.111), although I'm using the vger
> cvs kernel.  I can send you the info on getting the cvs kernel if you
> like.
>
> Configure the kernel with framebuffer support (you also need the
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL set -- it's the "prompt for incomplete drivers"
> thing).  And enable VGAFB but not VGACON in the "console" menu.

 Ok, i did a new try in my ongoing quest to have a working kgicon. Using
2.1.113 with vgacon+vesafb configured first and then vgafb+vesafb i managed to
get a black screen and complete hangup when insmod'ing kgicon.o
(monosync(svga)+mystique).

Any takers?

Also can someone explain to me nice and easily what VGACON and VGAFB are and
what their differences are. And also why kgicon needs VGAFB and why VGAFB is
called decapricated and to be removed 'soon' on linux-kernel.

/ Alex