  From: Steve Cheng <elmert@ipoline.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 09:51:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Extreme coolness and Re: helper-mansync continued...

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Andrew Apted wrote:

> Steve writes:
>
> >  [2] Should we try to make libggi thread safe?
>
> At least the case where two threads open two separate visuals and use
> them independently.

This is already the case with libggi, unless the underlying library (e.g.
Xlib) is not thread-safe.

However, we could lock the visual in the stubs to ensure this is the case.
Except opdraw functions maybe -- they normally don't affect the visual's
state.

> It would also be nice if events could be gathered in one thread while
> drawing was performed by another thread (e.g. a multithreaded game
> engine).  Putting some locking in common/evqueue.inc would be the easy
> part, but how much of a PITA would this be for the X targets ?

Actually, X targets _should_ do it already.  I see lots of Xlib Release/Wait
Lock in the event code.

--
Steve Cheng

email: steve@ggi-project.org